I’ve been hearing warnings like this lately:
It’s all over our local news channel. And Radio stations. And store pharmacy signage, “GET YOUR FLU SHOTS NOW!” My mom says almost everyone in her office has some sort of bug right now. While in line at the grocery store, I was holding my breath while hearing the woman behind me hack up some sort of nastiness. Even still, I think this may be a more appropriate sign:
Though, I ‘d add a few more tips to create flu resistance to this sign. I’m writing this in hopes that people will read it. In hopes that one, some, or all of these tips will help people to stay healthy! I’m writing this from a place of practice and experience. My husband and I haven’t had the flu in a few years. A sniffle coming on here and there. A draggy day maybe. But not one flu bug in this house–and we both work with the public (or I did until this week–more on this later).
Top Ten Flu-Free Tips for Your Family this Winter:
1. Wash your hands. I know this should go without saying, but wash your hands & wash them often. Wash them long enough to sing the “Happy Birthday” song twice through to thoroughly eradicate germs.
2. Get outside to exercise any chance you can. That’s right gym rats. Take a walk. Take a hike. Spend 5 minutes of your lunch break doing jumping jacks in the sun. Take the long way across the parking lot to your car. And if you can’t get outside, spray down the gym equipment you use. I prefer Thieves over anti-bacterial spray.
3. Buy some Thieves. Keep some in your purse/gym bag/living room. What is Thieves? It’s an essential oil blend that has been used since midieval times, so named because gypsies were thieving the graves of those who had succumbed to the plague and were not getting sick. Once they were captured for their crimes, they were interrogated, “How are you not getting sick?” The answer? The essential oil blend now called thieves. Check out this picture if you are a skeptic:
The only downside is that I’m pretty sure you can only buy Thieves from a Young Living distributor–though I’ve purchased products on Amazon before from distributors crafty enough to lists their businesses there.
4. Whenever you feel like you might be coming down with something, mix this concoction together & down it 1-2 times daily:
- 1/2-1 Tbsp Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp local honey
- 1 EmergenC packet
Stir these ingredients well, mix with some water, and chug!
5. Eat your fruits and veggies. Eat even more. Eat a wide variety of them everyday. Eat Kale and more Kale. Eat sweet potatoes. I don’t care if you’re Paleo, vegan, or a clean eater. Eat more fruits and veggies. And if you can’t get the recommended 13 servings a day, consider a WHOLE FOOD based supplement. Do not take synthetic vitamins. They are the devil and will only make you have more expensive pee. In our house, we like JuicePlus best. My momma also swears by it!
6. Sleep. Get enough rest. Aim for 7 hours a night. If you can’t get that much, try to relax more. Take 15 minutes to take a bath, meditate, do some yoga, read.
7. Water is life. Drink half your weight in ounces of water a day. Maybe more if you exercise or drink coffee.
8. Do Neti. Do NOT use tap water in your neti pot!! By now, I’m sure most everyone has heard of Neti, but in case you haven’t, here’s a nifty YouTube video that explains it pretty well EXCEPT THEY USE SINK WATER. DON’T. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFEXjzGagMI
9. Do Nasya. This is where Neti users go wrong. Dr. Oz neglected to tell all the Oprah fans about this tip, and in Ayurveda school we learned you shouldn’t do one without the other. Neti is great to rinse out mucous and bacteria from the sinuses. But if you haven’t noticed, salt water is drying. If you dry up the nasal cavity, you’re sending the body a message to create more mucous. Not the intended result. To avoid this memo to the mucous membranes, do Nasya. Nasya is the administration of herbalized nasal drops into the nostrils to cleanse, lubricate, purify and repair the sinuses. Nasya is considered one of the most powerful therapies in Ayurvedic medicine as it is reported to also have beneficial effects on memory, mind and emotional health. You can use a q-tip doused in the oil and swab your nostrils or drop a few drops straight in and breathe deeply. The best oil for this can be purchased here for only $12.
10. Vitamin D. According to the 2011 Mercola study, children taking 1,200 IU’s of vitamin D3 per day were shown to be 42 percent less likely to contract influenza, compared to children taking a placebo. Your local chiropractor, Whole Foods, Natural Grocers, Sprouts, or health food store will likely have recommendations on brands.
Stay healthy everyone!
With Love from Colorado,